Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Why Summer Camp?

By Emily T

Many of us attended summer camp as a child. For most of us that did, it is easy to say that camp had a very positive impression on our childhoods, and really on the rest of our lives. I attended camp 3 times as a kid, and I truly cannot put into words just how much those experiences helped shape me as an individual. So, why is camp so great? Why do kids always go back to summer camp?

To display the positive outcomes of sending a child to summer camp the American Camp Association sent out a survey to parents of children that attended a variety of summer camps across the country. The survey asked the parents to rate from a scale of 1-5 (1=strongly disagree, 5=strongly agree). Here were the results of the top 5 outcomes parents saw in their children after camp:

My child felt successful at camp (Average score: 4.63)
My child made new friends (Average score: 4.60)
My child gained new skills (Average score: 4.39)
Camp encouraged my child to get along better with others (Average score: 4.35)
Camp helped my child have a better idea of what she or he is good at (Average Score: 4.20)

Summer camp allows a unique opportunity for children to learn, grow, and become more independent through educational experiences and recreational activities. Camps such as the YMCA Storer Camps have the children role play and engage in activities that pertain to historical events in a fun and educational manner. They also can teach children about science in regard to ecosystems because camps often have access to lakes, ponds, etc. And as for outdoor recreation, camps usually provide some combination of horseback riding, rock climbing, canoeing, hiking, etc. for children to participate in. Summer camp is where I learned how to do all of these things.

The positive outcomes of going to summer camp are something that truly cannot be put into words. If you attended camp as a child, you probably agree with this. I had the privilege of watching kids have this experience when I was a camp counselor last year. Even if you never attended summer camp as a child, I would encourage almost anyone to be a camp counselor for one summer. There is so much that can be gained from watching kids experience and grow at summer camp. As a Sustainable Parks, Recreation, and Tourism Major, one of my possible career paths would be being a camp director one day. I truly cannot think of a more rewarding career for myself.

Sources: 
"Benefits of Camp: Skill Development." Benefits of Camp: Skill Development. American Camp Association, 2015. Web. 03 Apr. 2016

Images:
"The Watershed Research and Training Center – Hayfork, CA." The Watershed Research and Training Center Hayfork CA. WordPress, 2016. Web. 03 Apr. 2016.

"Keeping Kids Safe on the Internet." Summer Camp –. N.p., 2016. Web. 03 Apr. 2016.


4 comments:

  1. This was a very interesting article. I never thought that summer camp would influence kids so much.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a very interesting article. I never thought that summer camp would influence kids so much.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Toby K.

    This was a super cool article. I know firsthand how summer camp can give children great memories. I went to camp for years and always loved it. Having those experiences actually led me to become a camp counselor and help to give many more children a great summer!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Toby K.

    This was a super cool article. I know firsthand how summer camp can give children great memories. I went to camp for years and always loved it. Having those experiences actually led me to become a camp counselor and help to give many more children a great summer!

    ReplyDelete