Pages

Sunday, April 10, 2016

The Reason Behind The Major I Chose

By Janae S.

         As crazy as it may seem when I was young I always wanted to be a veterinarian. One interesting show that I would always watch was animal planet, on this channel, the show crocodile hunter with Steve Irwin was my favorite. Watching him amazed me because he was the type of person who was never scared to go after what he wanted. Even when he knew the crocodile or alligator was not a friendly animal he still managed to tie them down and capture them. While watching this show it became true that I really have a big heart when it comes to animals. Animal cops was another one of my favorite shows, watching the cops do their jobs by getting any abused animal out of a home. I personally hate to see an animal starve, go through abuse, not taken care of, or sick it just breaks my heart.
Going to High School as an incoming freshman, I began watching different Law shows like Law & Order SVU, forensic files, FBI Files, Criminal Minds,cops, and much more. Law was a particular field that caught my attention the most. During my junior year in High School, I took a class called Business and Personal Law. In this particular class, students had to dress up every Friday and sit in a courtroom as a jury member. We also had mock trials, in the mock trials students were split up into groups and giving a certain case. Some people were giving roles such as a lawyer, defendant, suspect, victim, witness, friend, or family member. I had a pleasure to get the lawyer role, it was very challenging for me at first because apart from being a lawyer you have to gather enough liable information to put the pieces together. Once I had the opportunity to do a mock trial I decided that majoring in Criminal Justice pursuing as Lawyer was the correct field for me. 

       The Psychology major came into mind during my freshman year at Michigan State. I got introduced to the Adolescent Program during my first semester. I wasn't sure if the program was for me or not, I had so many doubts because some people say you can’t get into any programs as a freshman. But deep down in my heart I knew this program was for me so I decided to go to the informational meeting that Sean Hankins held. The program was about providing effective alternatives to the criminal justice system and creating positive changes in the lives of adolescents in the Lansing community. The first step was to sign up for an interview with Sean Hankins, within the next couple of days I got an email saying: “Congratulations you have been accepted into the Michigan State University Adolescent Program”. I was really excited because considering the fact that I am a freshman I thought I was going to get denied. Now being in the program for over a semester I’ve learned more and more about how to be a great advocate for a youth. This program allowed me to place Psychology as an additional major.
      Now that I'm a Freshman at Michigan State University I will continue to pursue my dreams of becoming a Lawyer and a Psychologist. I can honestly say that with these two majors I have so many opportunities and options that I can choose from. Helping people in general is a part of who I am because getting justice for a victim and listening to individuals that wanna be heard when going through a crisis is something that I would love to do. One of my goals for that I want to accomplish before I graduate is to get internships, graduate college with two degrees, and have a full-time job in my career. A lot of people would always tell me that Criminal Justice and Psychology doesn't make a lot of money, but at the end of the day it’s not about the money to me. I personally believe that If you feel like that career you wanna pursue in is something you would love to do and you can see yourself waking up every day excited to go to work then go for it.

Images:
maxresdefault.jpg
svu.jpg
main_img15.jpg
maxresdefault.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment