Pages

Sunday, April 3, 2016

Why did I choose my field of study?

Abbie W.
It all started when I was in sixth grade. I joined the organization of 4-H by showing sheep. Over the next 8 years I would become as involved as physically possibly. I expanded from just two sheep to having cattle, pigs and soon would build my own flock of sheep. We now have a small herd of seven head of cattle and about a flock of twenty sheep. All purchases of these livestock have been made by either my sister or I. Which I believe makes it even more special to build this relationship of working with your family. While this is my sister and I's project, my parents are still very involved. I have been so blessed to have them as my cheerleaders, chauffeur, cook, helping hand, and even sometimes my therapist when I need reassurance. I think this family aspect probably the largest reason I chose this path. There are so many other factors that go with this though.

Up until I was a sophomore in high school my mindset was go to U of M and be a nurse just like my mother. Then it hit me one day, I am not a person who enjoys being inside all day especially when it is nice weather outside. In addition, I am not always the biggest people person or the most patient so I did not think this would be a position I would be happy with. I thought about it and decided to go the Animal science route as I considered becoming a vet. I realized becoming a vet could take 8-10 years of schooling and I knew I was not prepared nor did I want to do that.  Therefore, I opted to switch right before I attended AOP, I then switched to Agribusiness Management. It was a better choice in my eyes, it would open more doors for me if I chose not that working along livestock and agriculture the rest of my life. Also becoming a vet could take 8-10 years of schooling and I knew I was not prepared nor did I want to do that. However, knowing myself I have come to the realization I will always be happiest when I am working with livestock and those who are employed in the field. This fueled my decision to declare a double major next fall for animal science along with agribusiness management to open up more job opportunities after I graduate and find the path best for me.

I am so excited to see where this path will take me. In speaking to so many in the agriculture field I know I am on the right path. These type people are the ones I want to work beside along with educating those who may not have a clear understanding of all that agriculture workers give to our society. They always tell you find a career that you are passionate and will love. On the other side of that people say you can find something you are passionate about but you will not make a living off that. I think in taking the path I am on I will have the best of both. Which is a goal of mine is to make a living off of doing the one thing I thoroughly enjoy and that is putting in time with livestock.

No comments:

Post a Comment